investor and former Head of Strategy, and COO
About James Gossip
Seasoned, senior financial services executive with C-suite, Executive Committee and local Board responsibilities. Core experiences include front line business and p&l management, strategy development and tactical initiatives implementation, corporate restructuring and business expansion, operations management and streamlining programmes, governance and controls, building and managing large and diverse teams, plus senior executive and stakeholder management. Recently developed regional sustainability plans and implementation programme.
A 40 year international career spanning Europe, Asia and the Middle East, including the UAE, Hong Kong, Malaysia, the UK, Sweden and Jersey, with short term (3+ months) assignments in Egypt, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, India, Pakistan, Singapore, Korea, the USA, France and Holland.
Recent roles and experience include:
• Worked within the HSBC Asia Pacific CEO Office across regional business lines to develop programmes and tactical initiatives involving flow and event services in order to drive increased revenues for Asia-Pac. Whilst strategic in nature, the role requires a a collaborative and persuasive approach together with well-developed Programme Management capabilities in order to implement initiatives at pace.
Additionally and in view of the substantial business potential, developed and wrote the Asian Sustainability Climate Change plans leading a taskforce of 40+ executives across the region.
• Direct business management experience of running mid-size, large corporate, investment banking and retail business units with multi-product and cross-border dimensions.
• 2 separate assignments within Group Head-office’s Strategic Planning function in Asia and within the Middle East Strategic Planning function developed structure and insight for business evaluation.
• 2 COO roles, a Deputy CEO and a Managing Director role have established senior executive and governance experience. Also, Global COO for HSBC’s Islamic Banking services.
• As the COO for HSBC Malaysia (one of HSBC Group’s 8 “Scale Markets”), undertook a substantial re-structuring of business operations, systems and culture change. Led HSBC’s engagement with 2 “Monitor” visits under HSBC Group’s US Deferred Prosecution Agreement.
And, as Deputy CEO for HSBC Malaysia, led the formulation of the Country Strategic Plan 2020 – 2022, securing substantial total investment.
In summary, acquired valuable strategic and direct insight of front line businesses and operating functions, as well as leadership experience in planning, re-structuring, building teams.