Klarna announces launch of in-store Klarna Card in the UK
Klarna, a leading global banking, payments and shopping service, announces the launch of Klarna Card in the UK, empowering consumers with greater control, transparency and choice over how they pay. The new physical card will bring Klarna’s flexible and transparent payments experience to in-store payments anywhere where cards are accepted.
The launch is a major step in Klarna’s journey to give UK consumers the flexibility to pay later for purchases everywhere, without the inherent risks of interest and revolving credit. The card launches with Klarna’s Pay in 30, which allows consumers to pay anytime up to 30 days after purchase, with plans to add additional payment options in the future. Klarna’s Pay Later products are a fairer and more sustainable alternative to traditional credit, providing payment flexibility with clear payment schedules, no interest and, in the case of Klarna, no late fees.
Alex Marsh, Head of Klarna UK, says: “Consumers are rejecting credit products which charge double-digit interest rates while allowing repayments to be put off indefinitely. For online purchases where credit makes sense, buy now pay later has become the sustainable alternative with no interest and clear payment schedules. The launch of Klarna Card in the UK brings those benefits to the offline world, giving consumers the control and transparency of BNPL for all of their instore purchases.”
Globally, the Klarna Card recently reached more than 800,000 consumers across Sweden and Germany, and the company has announced plans to launch a card in the US. In the UK, the Klarna Card will be made available progressively reaching all eligible consumers in the upcoming months; the card currently has a waitlist of 400,000 consumers in the UK showing strong demand for a new approach to credit. Consumers can sign up to be on the waitlist by tapping ‘Klarna Card’ in the latest version of the Klarna app or from their account here.
Today’s announcement comes after a series of enhancements to Klarna’s offering in the UK. In October, the company launched ‘Pay Now’, ensuring UK consumers can always pay immediately and in full, wherever Klarna is available, with the same payment experience whether they choose to pay now or later. And in its continued drive to set standards for the UK payments industry, Klarna has also strengthened affordability checks and checkout language, provided more ways for consumers to challenge complaints decisions on the rare occasions this becomes necessary, and removed the last remaining late fees on its regulated financing product.
Klarna Card features include:
- Visa physical credit card in either black or pink
- Fast and easy payments via Apple Pay or Google Pay
- Simple, smooth sign-up process.
- No foreign exchange fee/markup
- Pay up to 30 days
- In-store contactless payment
- Instant push notifications for all transactions, even if a payment is declined
- Overview of all purchases in the app
- Extend the due date for up to 10 days for free
- Short-term card blocking quickly and easily via the app
- Customer service is available 24/7 in the app
Companies In This Post
- Smartr365 Survey reveals almost a fifth of brokers have been held as ‘data prisoners’ Read more
- 2022 Payments Innovation Jury split on BaaS and unconvinced by CBDCs Read more
- Fintech Finance Podcasts: The FF Salon with Ruediger Vogt Read more
- 55% Of US Investors Are Expected to Move Money Into Individual Stocks in Q4’22 Read more
- Fintech Finance Podcast: FF Salon with Nina Mohanty Full Audio Read more